Select complains when loading a licensed custom package

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

joe.mag

Select complains when loading a licensed custom package

Post by joe.mag »

**** This is a resolved issue--I'm posting this to help anyone who encounters the same problem ****

I'm working in 4.0 but I suspect that's largely irrelevant to this issue.

I've created a custom shell package, generated a fully qualified name and requested and received a license file from SoftPro. I followed the SDK topic "Add a Package License" under How-to->Shell Package Development->Add a Package License" to install the file.

When I run Select it logs a message in the Application event log "The AttorneysTitleCustomShellPackage package does not have a valid license and will not load. Contact SoftPro for a valid license!" That's not cool--I just applied my license! The odd part is the custom package loads and runs fine! If I look in Select's "Select Options" under About Select it shows my package properly installed. So am I licensed or not?

Bob Richards, who is so helpful on this forum, worked with me and he found the issue--I had been playing around with the contents of my RegisterPackage and other settings in my code and actually had two packages registered! He confirmed this by having me look in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SoftPro\Select\4.0\Packages. We scrolled through the package GUIDs and sure enough my custom package showed up under two different GUIDs due to my various code changes! We purged all of my custom package entries (obviously be careful since accidentally purging one of Select's own packages won't end well) and then I re-registered and reran select with /setup command line argument and the problem was fixed! My package loaded and there were no nasty log entries.

Of course this only applies to a release build (which is required of a licensed package) since a different registry hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SoftPro\Select\4.0Exp\Packages determines what debug-build packages are registered.

So the bottom line was this: I had two custom packages registered, one licensed and one not, so Select was loading the former and complaining about the latter!

Thanks to Bob for his help!
BobRichards

Re: Select complains when loading a licensed custom package

Post by BobRichards »

You're right - it works for version 3.0 and 4.0. I use this method to remove packages that I create to quickly test one-off code in temporary packages.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro