Select.exe crashing during package /setup

Discussions related to custom development with Select.
joe.mag

Select.exe crashing during package /setup

Post by joe.mag »

I have been working on a custom shell package for a while and just got my .lic file. Somewhere in the process of making the changes specified in the SDK to use the license file I've broken my installation! Now my debug build throws the error:

Error 13 The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftPro\Select\Select.exe" /setup /rootsuffix:Exp" exited with code -532462766. AttorneysTitleCustomShellPackage

If I try a release build and manual registration as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftPro\Select SDK\Tools\spregpkg.exe" /m:register /p:AttorneysTitleCustomShellPackage.dll

select.exe /setup
then Select just crashes with generic looking events logged in the event logs regarding the crash.

I've restored my code back to the pre-license activation state from backups but that code will no longer build either!

It almost feels like the registry has gotten butchered. Just to make sure it wasn't something a restart would fix I did a reboot but that didn't help.
joe.mag

Re: Select.exe crashing during package /setup

Post by joe.mag »

My bad--it looks like a global search and replace I did as part of renaming a few things to better match the SDK's guide to naming (e.g. RegisterProduct) lead to the alteration of my Select.exe.config which I had open in the dev environment. Oops! I fixed the unintended renames and now things load.

Just in case anyone is curious, the clue was the logged event when select crashed:
Application: Select.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
it got me thinking that this had nothing to do with my custom package and everything to do with Select's own configuration file. That's when I realized I'd unintentionally whacked the file.

My bad.
BobRichards

Re: Select.exe crashing during package /setup

Post by BobRichards »

Glad you found it quickly. And thanks for the tip!
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro