SoftPro 3.0 (Cameron) Install taking a very long time

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
mrisen

SoftPro 3.0 (Cameron) Install taking a very long time

Post by mrisen »

I'm performing an install of SoftPro 3.0. Everything was going smoothly until I get to the SoftPro Server Install and it is at a step that reads "Registering the order tracking model". So far it's been on this step for about an hour. Is it expected to take this long?
John Morris

Re: SoftPro 3.0 (Cameron) Install taking a very long time

Post by John Morris »

That is the longest step of the installation, but an hour seems overly lengthy.

What are your server specs?

Is this an upgrade or a new install?
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

Yeah, I left it overnight to no avail. I've tried re-imaging and re-installing but I keep getting stuck on this step.

This is a virtual machine hosted through Hyper-V
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
    4GB of memory
    Single CPU Intel Xeon 2.9GHz
    100GB hard drive space
Specs are low because this is a test machine.

I'm also seeing some errors in the event log:

Failed to execute server maintenance routines.
Error: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
Stack Trace:
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at SoftPro.Select.Persistence.Integration.IntegrationDataContext.SoftPro.Select.Server.Integration.IIntegrationDataContext.ElectMasterServer(Guid guid)
at Castle.Proxies.Invocations.IIntegrationDataContext_ElectMasterServer.InvokeMethodOnTarget()
at Castle.DynamicProxy.AbstractInvocation.Proceed()
at SoftPro.PersistenceModel.UniqueConstraintViolationAspect.SoftPro.ServerModel.Aspects.IAspect.Process(Action method)
at SoftPro.PersistenceModel.StaleObjectStateExceptionAspect.SoftPro.ServerModel.Aspects.IAspect.Process(Action method)
at SoftPro.PersistenceModel.DeadlockDetectionAspect.SoftPro.ServerModel.Aspects.IAspect.Process(Action method)
at Castle.Proxies.IIntegrationDataContextProxy.ElectMasterServer(Guid guid)
at SoftPro.Select.Server.Package.ElectMasterServer(Object state)

And:

Error: When using SqlDependency without providing an options value, SqlDependency.Start() must be called prior to execution of a command added to the SqlDependency instance.
Stack Trace:
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDependency.GetDefaultComposedOptions(String server, String failoverServer, IdentityUserNamePair identityUser, String database)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.CheckNotificationStateAndAutoEnlist()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
at SoftPro.Select.Server.ChangeMonitorProvider.SoftPro.Select.Service.IChangeMonitorProvider.NewSqlChangeMonitor(String cmdText, CommandType cmdType, SqlParameter[] parameters)
at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Persistence.CustomFields.CustomFieldsDataContext.SoftPro.OrderTracking.Server.CustomFields.ICustomFieldsDataContext.RegisterCustomFieldsChangedMonitors(CacheItemPolicy policy)
at SoftPro.PersistenceModel.UniqueConstraintViolationAspect.SoftPro.ServerModel.Aspects.IAspect.Process(Action method)
at SoftPro.PersistenceModel.StaleObjectStateExceptionAspect.SoftPro.ServerModel.Aspects.IAspect.Process(Action method)
at SoftPro.PersistenceModel.DeadlockDetectionAspect.SoftPro.ServerModel.Aspects.IAspect.Process(Action method)
at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Server.CustomFields.CustomFieldsManager.GetCustomFieldDefinitions()
at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Server.CustomFields.CustomFieldsManager.get_CustomFieldDefinitions()
at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.Orders.OrderStoreProvider.SoftPro.EntityModel.ICustomPropertyProvider.get_Properties()
at SoftPro.EntityModel.EntityRuntime.PopulateCustomFieldDescriptorCache(IDictionary`2 types)
at SoftPro.EntityModel.EntityRuntime.EnsureModelLoaded(ModelName modelName)
at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Server.Package.<EnsureDefaultOrderDefinitionsLoaded>b__0(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

And:

Application: spssvc.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
at SoftPro.EntityModel.EntityRuntime.EnsureModelLoaded(SoftPro.EntityModel.ModelName)
at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Server.Package.<EnsureDefaultOrderDefinitionsLoaded>b__0(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

I think I forgot to mention that his is a fresh install.
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

We have seen this error on servers that have fewer than 2 cores. Try giving your server another core.

The underlying issue involved will be resolved in the upcoming 3.0 SP3 release.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

Thanks John, I think I can do that in the short term. Can you give me the current anticipated SP3 release date?
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

Adding a 2nd core fixed the problem. Thanks again, John.
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

We are putting the wraps on it now. We hope to ship at the end of April.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

We currently have version 3.0.10820.208 (HF2.3) and I am still seeing this issue manifest on a single core server. Is the fix in this version or in an upcoming version?