lookups api crashing

Discussions related to SoftPro Select user interface development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

czentman

lookups api crashing

Post by czentman »

We have been using the lookups api (Select 2.6) for some time in a custom ribbon tab and all of the sudden it stopped working (we didn't make any coding changes so it was strange). I worked on troubleshooting the code, removing most of the code to add a new person in the our person lookup table and nothing worked. Then one day, I tested and it worked. Then again we started using it and it stopped working. Does a service need to be running for this? I can't figure it out.
Graham Campbell

Re: lookups api crashing

Post by Graham Campbell »

We may need more information to get you a solid answer about this. Do you know the exact error that you were getting?

The lookups service talks directly to the select server. Assuming that you are able to make a connection and have gotten a reference to the lookups service, interacting with the service should work.

The lookups service is built to handle heavy amounts of traffic, such as saving changes to 10,000+ records at a time. To do this we leverage the Distributed Transaction Coordinator. As such, if the network environment is changing in any way that may impact the DTC from communicating then the lookups service may fail. If this is failing though, all lookups in the system should fail, not just the plugin.

Lookups is very data driven. Since these are dynamic tables, if a change was made to the lookup table itself then it may cause problems.

Here are some example data driven failures:
1. If the plugin uses the LookupMap and is sensitive to profile, then a profile change may cause there to be no person table associated to a given profile. This also respects inheritance rules among profiles.
2. Same as profile changes, if using the LookupMap and the context or field path changed then the map may no longer reference you to the correct lookup table.
3. If not using the LookupMap then a change to the table name may cause the table to not be referenced correctly.
4. Depending on how you reference the columns in the lookup table, changing the name of the column may cause the code to fail.
Graham Campbell
SoftPro Software Engineer
czentman

Re: lookups api crashing

Post by czentman »

I tried looking at profiles - all these things. It works to add into the main client (attorney) table but not into the order contact for those entries. Can anyone help me with this if I send the code/environment and see my problem?