Spacing issue

Discussions related to ReadyDoc development.
KathyD

Spacing issue

Post by KathyD »

I have created a new ReadyDoc. The template looks fine, but once its upload and I render it, there are spacing issues, extra spacing that doesnt seem to be in the template. Not sure how to fix it. I cant see where its coming from.
BobRichards

Re: Spacing issue

Post by BobRichards »

You will need to upload the document in order for us to help. Perhaps you can upload a portion that has a problem you can demonstrate?

Please put the document contents within a code block by pressing the following key that can be found in the "Post a reply" toolbar:
2023-06-27_15-22-22.jpg
2023-06-27_15-22-22.jpg (1.05 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
KathyD

Post by KathyD »

See Pg. 3. The spacing is off, but I cant see where to fix it
Attachments
Seller Questionnaire.docx
this is the new doc
(26.47 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Seller doc.pdf
this is when I render it
(306.48 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Here is an explanation from one of the wizards in the Documents group...

The formatting in this document is a bit inconsistent throughout, but I’ll use these two lines to demonstrate (what I believe to be) one of the idiosyncrasies of the SoftPro Select document rendering engine:
Spacing1.jpg
Spacing1.jpg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
When you analyze the MSWord formatting of paragraph 5, you will see this:
Spacing2.jpg
Spacing2.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
…as you can see, this paragraph is formatted to have 6 pts of space before the paragraph and 8 pts of space after.

Paragraph 6 paragraph formatting is identical – HOWEVER, there is a difference between how the data is displayed in MSWord versus rendering it in SoftPro Select.

In MSWord, if paragraph five has 8 pts AFTER, and paragraph six has 6 pts before – MSWord will simply display the greatest amount of space formatted between the two parargraphs. 8 pts > 6 pts, so this space is 8 pts high, vertically:
Spacing3.jpg
Spacing3.jpg (23.04 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
SoftPro Select, on the other hand, will COMBINE these pt amounts when rendered, so instead of using the greater number, it will add them together. 8 pts after paragraph five + 6 pts before paragraph six = 14 pts total. This is why the space between these two paragraphs appears larger on the PDF (screenshow below) than on the MSWord document:
Spacing4.jpg
Spacing4.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
The solution is simple, but tedious – formatting will have to be adjusted on ALL paragraphs so that either ONLY pts before spacing is used, or ONLY pts after spacing is used, never both.

Just a tip, but I normally develop my documents completely VOID of paragraph formatting (after scrubbing the text through notepad to avoid any other issues), and then I add necessary formatting (tables, indents, spacing, etc.) after the text portion is complete.

Maybe this doc was created by converting a PDF to Word? I can’t think of any other reason why the formatting appears that way.

I hope this helps.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
KathyD

Post by KathyD »

thank you..this helps a lot. Our attorney created these documents as normal documents with his own formatting and I was adding the coding to make them a Readydoc. It makes sense to do these from scratch with no coding.

thank you!!!