Together

Discussions related to ReadyDoc development.
cklahr

Together

Post by cklahr »

I am trying to create the document that each contact that is cc'ed on the document should come out together, and not get split between two pages. However, it doesn't seem to be working. I don't want to put the TOGETHER out of the table, because then it makes all the contacts jump to the next page, if a few are selected. See attached document for reference.
Attachments
my_CommitmentCoverLetterOtherContact.rtf
(30.41 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Mark McKenna

Re: Together

Post by Mark McKenna »

One alternative approach is to simply configure each paragraph inside an iteration as "keep with next", except for the last paragraph that represents the spacer line between them. You don't need to use tables or TOGETHER for this, and is actually preferred since it leverages standard word processing constructs instead of markup. Like:

Code: Select all

Configure just the starred paragraphs as "keep with next"...

<FOREACH ASK {{.Contact}}>
{{.Name}} *
{{.Address1Address2}} *
{{.City}} *

</FOREACH>
In a similar fashion, you can also experiment with the "allow row to break across tables" setting of table cells as so:

Code: Select all

<FOREACH ASK {{.Contact}}>
(1 row table that disallows breaks across pages)
</FOREACH>
cklahr

Post by cklahr »

How do I code the "keep with next" in the document?
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

You don't have to code anything. It's (likely) part of the paragraph settings of the word processing software you're using to create ReadyDocs. Our document rendering system provides hybrid support for markup (SPML) and standard word processing functionality. If you are using Microsoft Word to create your documents, for example, you can configure each individual paragraph to selectively "keep with next". In doing so, the particular paragraph will be kept with the next paragraph on the same page during final pagination.

See this article from Microsoft:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/ ... 51033.aspx

If you configure each starred paragraph from my previous post as such, you will get the pagination effect I described.

This is really no different than how we allow you to create bold font by recognizing it in the source document, rather than forcing you to supply markup (as is the case with HTML).

One word of caution. Microsoft Word provides an extremely rich word processing environment. Some of the more esoteric features of Word are not yet supported in our system - we try and support as many of the common features as we can during each release cycle, but it is not 100%.
cklahr

Post by cklahr »

I tried formatting the "keep with next" in Word, however, it did not give me the desired result in the document. Do you think the problem could be that it's in a table, or that version 2.3 doesn't accomodate this?
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

In my original reply, two alternate approaches were provided. The "keep with next" option does not use tables. The "allow row to break across tables" option does use tables. You will want to experiment with each to see which one provides you a more favorable result.