Debug Build Error - Blocking Process

Discussions related to SoftPro Select user interface development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

dlerickson

Debug Build Error - Blocking Process

Post by dlerickson »

I'm getting the following error when attempting to debug:

Code: Select all

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\SoftPro\Select\4.3Exp\Commands.ctm' because it is being used by another process.
Stack Trace: 
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
   at SoftPro.Select.Managers.CommandManager.MergeCommandTables()
   at SoftPro.Select.Runtime.OnSetup()
This happens post-build as the debugging process is firing up. Sometimes, starting up Select directly from Windows and then closing it will clear the lock, but not always. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
dlerickson

Re: Debug Build Error - Blocking Process

Post by dlerickson »

I'm hoping someone can take a look at this. I'm running against Select client version 4.3.60210.108 with SDK version 4.3.60108.11. I've tried everything, from running Select normally from Windows and closing, in the hopes that some resource would close properly, to both client and SDK reinstalls, deleting that folder from the ProgramData directory, registry wipes, hacking the integration project file to set the RegisterPackage directive to false, you name it.

The process lock still appears most of the time, but not every single time. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I can tell. Any help is appreciated.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

I believe this is occurring during the post compilation step where it start Select with a command line argument to merge the UI components from your project with the current ones registered with Select (select.exe /setup). I have not seen this occur before.

Does the Select application user have sufficient privilege?
Does the application crash with this held open (due to development code)?
Is this a recent phenomena?
Are you running multiple instances of Select?
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
dlerickson

Post by dlerickson »

Well, of course, the problem seems to have mysteriously righted itself, but for the sake of completeness, I'll answer below:

Does the Select application user have sufficient privilege? Yes, it's on my local development laptop, and I have all the admin rights, both on the machine, and within the Select userbase for this environment as well.
Does the application crash with this held open (due to development code)? The application never got to the point of fully opening; the crash would occur during the debug cycle, post-build, but before the UI splash screen popped up.
Is this a recent phenomena? Within the last week, yes.
Are you running multiple instances of Select? No. Debug is always run in isolation.

Another bit of info is that I had just updated to the latest version of the client; there was a bit of strangeness there, because I was prompted multiple times to upgrade, both in a regular Select session, and later during a Debug session out of VS.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Well I'm glad the gremlin left to haunt someone else. I also have had to repeatedly update on my own machine because the client has user specific profile information stored. My desktop account is different from the one I use to launch Visual Studio so I would need to install new clients twice.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
dlerickson

Post by dlerickson »

I've also discovered that cleaning the solution every time before debugging has solved the problem. So something in there that gets cleaned out must be holding a lock on that file somehow. Weird.