Application Insights - how to?

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
toddsou

Application Insights - how to?

Post by toddsou »

I’m interested in what type of transparency the Application Insights feature can offer for my SPS system.

I’m looking for resources to help me determine:
1) As a system administrator/owner, How to make best use of the aggregated information the Application Insights feature can offer ? I understand there is some sort of dashboard or portal to access the aggregated data?
2) Can I enable the Application Insights feature for an existing SPS system? Or do I have to wait for the next version upgrade opportunity?

In short, does SoftPro offer some sort of white paper or similar documentation on this feature ?

Thanks.
john.morton

Re: Application Insights - how to?

Post by john.morton »

1) As a system administrator/owner, How to make best use of the aggregated information the Application Insights feature can offer ? I understand there is some sort of dashboard or portal to access the aggregated data?
In order to be able to access your information through the Microsoft Application Insights interface https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/servi ... -insights/, you'll need to create your own app insights account, and put the instrumentation key it creates in your server information within the SoftPro Select Services application. There are two properties which relate to enabling sending this data to Application Insights: Customer Performance -> "Application Insights Instrumentation Key" and "Send Data to Application Insights." After changing this information, you'll need to restart your Select servers.
2) Can I enable the Application Insights feature for an existing SPS system? Or do I have to wait for the next version upgrade opportunity?
As long as you're using a version in which this feature has been enabled, you can follow the above steps to enable it on an existing installation.
In short, does SoftPro offer some sort of white paper or similar documentation on this feature ?
If you open the Select client application and press F1 to get to our help, you can search for Application Insights to find a little blurb about how to enable it. In regards to the data sent, it's mostly performance type information... like order save times, report queue length, exceptions that occur, etc... Most of this same information is also available locally from some Windows performance counters that are automatically installed with our server. If you're not familiar with how to access this information, the following link gives a quick overview: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... windows-10 Our performance counters all start with SPSServer:<Insert specific counter here>.