How to customize Select start page

Discussions related to custom development with Select.
MikeShih

How to customize Select start page

Post by MikeShih »

Here is what I want to do.
I want to keep start page teh style it is. especially the file history, task summary. but I don't want to see the news feed.
Instead, I have another existing page that I want it to display on where the Softpro Select news area. how do I change the code in startpage.htm to meet my need ?

I see the code that calls NEwsGroupBox
<ui:GroupBox title="SoftPro Select News" style="height:100%;width:100%;" id="NewsGroupBox" />

and then the code here that gets the news feed. what should I change to make it display another page that is currently hosted by another server, instead of display the news feed.

///starts the tips download
function starttips() {
var admin = window.external.GetObject("Administration");
feed = admin.NewsFeed;
feed.BeginDownload();
window.setTimeout('endtips();', 250);
}

//updates the tips area
function endtips() {
//if we havent finished the download yet, keep waiting
if (feed.Downloading) {
window.setTimeout('endtips();', 250);
} else {
try {
//download the rss feed
var content = feed.EndDownload();
if (content != null) {
var xml = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLDOM');
xml.async = false;
xml.loadXML(content);
//alert(xml.xml);

//get the stylesheet
var xslt = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLDOM');
xslt.async = false;
xslt.load('.\\Resources\\RssFeed.xslt');
//alert(xslt.xml);

//apply the stylesheet to the content
var html = xml.transformNode(xslt);

NewsGroupBox.innerHTML = '<div style="width:100%;height:100%;overflow:auto;">' + html + '</div>';
NewsGroupBox.reload();
} else {
NewsGroupBox.innerHTML = '<div style="color:GrayText;width:100%;height:100%;overflow:auto;">An unexpected error occurred while downloading the news feed.</div>';
NewsGroupBox.reload();
}
}
catch (e) {
NewsGroupBox.innerHTML = '<div style="color:GrayText;width:100%;height:100%;overflow:auto;">An unexpected error occurred while downloading the news feed. ' + e.message + '</div>';
NewsGroupBox.reload();
}

feed = null;
}
}
John Morris

Re: How to customize Select start page

Post by John Morris »

You cannot customize our start page, but you can replace it, by pointing the start page setting to your own html page.

In order to accomplish your task, you need to provide your own html page, hosted from your location (file or web server). You can use JavaScript on your page to provide the same MRU list and task summary as we do. Those data points are exposed via an extensibility object on the web browser, known as the "window.external" object.

One way to accomplish your task would be to copy our source code for the start page and then customize that copy.

Hope this helps.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro