Select 2.4 Event Notifications

Discussions related to SoftPro Select Server development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

roteague

Select 2.4 Event Notifications

Post by roteague »

I've got an Event Notification handler setup in my environment. The question becomes, how do I know which SelectServer is Select running against when it calls my event handler? Is there going to be additional information added to the event XML?

Thanks,
Robert
roteague

Re: Select 2.4 Event Notifications

Post by roteague »

Following on the previous question:

There is no longer an sps.exe program to configure event notifications. What has this been replaced with?

Thanks,

Robert
Robert
kkellett

Post by kkellett »

In 2.4, the server's install folder is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoftPro\Select Server\Instances\spssvr<InstanceName>\
The sps.exe tool is now located there.
When handling the event notification, you are passed two arguments: sender and args. The sender is an xml string that can be used to identify the sending server. The args parameter is the event's xml.

John Morris
roteague

Post by roteague »

kkellett wrote:In 2.4, the server's install folder is located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoftPro\Select Server\Instances\spssvr<InstanceName>\
The sps.exe tool is now located there.
When handling the event notification, you are passed two arguments: sender and args. The sender is an xml string that can be used to identify the sending server. The args parameter is the event's xml.

John Morris
Has the sender data been modified to include the sending server? I'm only aware of the ID and EventID fields in this structure.
Robert
roteague

Post by roteague »

Following on the previous post, the rationale that causes me to ask is the new functionality that Select now has, namely the ability to select the Server that I want to connect to when starting the program.

Currently, I have two environments setup and configured; CONFIG and TEST. Each of these environments connects to different databases. I only have one Order Notification handler registered with Select. In this scenario, I no way of knowing whether the user connect to my CONFIG or my TEST environments when starting Select.

Should this have been configured in a different manner, or is there going to be modifications to the XML to tell me which environment was selected?

Thanks,
Robert
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

Robert, unfortunately it does appear that we have an issue with the ID being reported through the sender XML. The feature should allow you to extract an identifier from the sender arg to know exactly which Select Server fired the notification, but that does not appear to be working correctly. I've added this as a work item to our current release cycle - thank you for reporting this to us.
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

Update to this: Starting with our next major release (Hargett), the database instance identifier will be provided in the sender arg of the event notification (Sender/ID) that is delivered via SOAP. As long as the database instances each have their own unique identifier, your web services will be able to correctly differentiate between data sources.