Server Deployment Wizard does not Launch when performing upgrade

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
B_Hinote

Server Deployment Wizard does not Launch when performing upgrade

Post by B_Hinote »

I ran the Server Setup to upgrade the Mid-Tier from 4.3.41 to 4.3.57 and when I reached the point where the Services had completed and the box to Launch the Server Deployment Zizard was Checked, the Wizard did not launch as it should have. I tried running the full install again, with the same result but did not have this issue on a different Mid-Tier Upgrade.

How can I launch the Server Deployment Wizard when the provided Setup will not?

I also tried opening the SoftPro Select Services Console to add a New Server with the same values in hopes it would do the upgrade, but this was blocked indicating that the instance already existed with the same name.
BobRichards

Re: Server Deployment Wizard does not Launch when performing upgrade

Post by BobRichards »

This question has been passed to R&D for review. I'll let you know when I get a response.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
B_Hinote

Post by B_Hinote »

This issue has been resolved.

After working with Dan Rust, it was determined that the Config DB had some underlining issues that impacted the Upgrade in the following two ways:
  • It caused the Second Half of the Install to Not Launch the Server Deployment Wizard even though this option was clearly checked.
  • It did not provide the Option to Upgrade the Server in the SoftPro Select Services Console.

In this case, I was advised to take the following steps in order to get the Environment Upgraded as expected: (All DBs should have been backed up prior to the Upgrade.)
  • Take note of any SPS Client and/or Server Packages Installed, DB Names, Server Names, Instance Names, etc., and make sure you have this information and the packages before proceeding.
  • From the Mid-Tier, Open Add or Remove Programs and Uninstall All SoftPro Applications.
  • From SQL Server, Delete the SelectConfigDB. (This should have been backed up before you started the original install.)
  • Back on the Mid-Tier, rerun the Server Installation and provide the Credentials, Server Names, and Config DB Name that was previously associated with the environment. (This time it should launch the Server Deployment Wizard as expected, but alternatively, you could open the SPS Services Console and Add a New Server if needed. )
  • During the server Deployment, provide all Credentials, Server Names, and DB Names that were previously used for the environment and this should upgrade your existing DB to the latest version.
  • Install the SPS Client and confirm that it is able to connect to the upgraded DBs.
  • Finish by adding any Server and Client Packages that were previously installed and you should be back in business.

As a side note, if you are upgrading a Mid-Tier that has Multiple Instances/Servers Installed I strongly recommend that you Uncheck the "Launch Server Deployment Wizard" before completing the first half of the upgrade. Then Open the SPS Services Console and Upgrade each Server independently by pressing the Upgrade Button that should be available for each listed server. (My experience with allowing the setup to launch the Deployment Wizard after the first half of the upgrade was completed resulted in the Server Upgrade failing with the indication that there was already a Server/Instance with the same name and it would not allow you to continue.)

Hopefully, this information will help someone else that finds themselves in a similar predicament. :-)
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Thank you for the update! I will forward it to R&D,also.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

I have been advised that you should contact SoftPro Customer Support for this issue. Someone on that team may need to review additional information such as error/event logs.

Sorry I can't help.
B_Hinote

Post by B_Hinote »

Bob,

Thank you for the following up.

The information I previously posted (i.e. Issue has been resolved.) was based on a conversation I had with Dan Rust, from your Support Team. :)

My hope was to provide the information and steps that we took to resolve the issues based on what was discovered, just in case it might help someone else that found themselves in a similar situation and could not reach a SoftPro Support Team Member at the time when it occurred. In my case, there was definitely something wrong with the ConfigDB as it would not launch the Deployment Wizard and there was No option to Upgrade the Servers from the Select Server Manager which should have been available.

The Steps we took to Delete the ConfigDB and Uninstall All Select Applications from the Mid-Tier should never be the first course of action taken. However, considering nothing else resolved the issue, I had all the Packages to reinstall, and the fact that the ConfigDB can usually be rebuilt from scratch if you know the Administrative Services User Name/Password, Default/Named Instance, Port if other than 8080, the Production DBs that were defined for the Environment, and Backups of All DBs, the risk was negligible considering the environment was down and would not work in the half converted state it was currently in. As it stood, I would have had to Uninstall All the Select Services, Restore/Rebuild the ConfigDB, and Reinstall the prior version of the Select Services just to try and get the environment back up to the prior version anyway. Taking this approach allowed me to push forward with the Upgrade and achieve the overall objective. :)

Thank you,

Brian