MFA, event after login success

Discussions related to SoftPro Select user interface development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

danvanf

MFA, event after login success

Post by danvanf »

Hello,

I am tasked with creating an MFA integration into Select. I've spent a few hours in the SDK documentation looking around. I'm more knowledgeable but haven't cracked this authentication egg. :?

:?: Are there any events around the authentication process to which I could attach?

:?: Is there a method within the Shell to close Select?

I'm over my ski tips on this one, thanks for the assist. :)

-Dan
I blog at http://DanVanFleet.com on SoftPro and other things
BobRichards

Re: MFA, event after login success

Post by BobRichards »

What is your desired outcome? Did you want to (1) specify username and password (and potentially profile) information to Select or (2) just have an opportunity to intercept the startup process and force Select to close if the user doesn't jump through the right hoop?

I think #2 is possible but I doubt #1 is since the app captured the user information when they started Select.

What's your intent? When I get your answer, I will have to forward this to R&D for their input.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
danvanf

Post by danvanf »

Hi Bob,

# 2, to just have an opportunity to intercept the startup process after authentication is accepted and before let's say a file can be opened. If they fail the test force Select to close.

Thanks
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Sounds great. I'll pass it to R&D.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

I have heard back from R&D and Select doesn't support the concept of "additional steps of authentication" after user authenticates to Select.

To be honest, we don't really know how or where you want this MFA to fit into the startup process. If you want to supply a few more details, maybe we can help. :?
danvanf

Post by danvanf »

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.

As to where it could hook in... Right after username/password authentication was complete, then the third authentication mechanism would take place. If they passed, Select loads. If not, Select exits. It could be an event or hook that fires last in the sequence of start up items.

A use case is a mobile user who's comfortable that we've been told everything is encrypted even though we're using HTTP protocol but requires MFA to connect with the LOB application. Clearly, they know the protocol-level items are not encrypted.

This is a low level of importance question.

Thanks,
-Dan