How to get Current User on Start Page

Discussions related to SoftPro Select user interface development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

chuck1440

How to get Current User on Start Page

Post by chuck1440 »

I am attempting to create a custom Start Page, and I would like to access the current username. I followed the directions previously posted here: https://devforum.softprocorp.com/viewto ... ?f=6&t=310. Unfortunately, the javascript statement 'var myautomation = window.external.GetObject("MyAutomation")' returns an exception 'window.external.GetObject is not a function'. I enumerated the members in window.external and found only AddSearchProvider, & IsSearchProviderInstalled. After consulting the SelectDefaultStartPage.html, I noticed references to EnvICE that seems to support some of the functionality that windows.external previously provided. Enumerating the members of EnvICE, I found showContextMenu, getRecentDocuments, execCmd, equals, getHashCode, & toString - but no getObject. Is it still possible to access the current username from a custom start page? And, if so, how is it done? We are currently running version 4.3.60210.119 of Select. Thx.
BobRichards

Re: How to get Current User on Start Page

Post by BobRichards »

Sorry for the issues. I have passed this on to R&D. I will return any information they provide.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

R&D has responded that there is no direct way to do what you are asking.

Their only recommendation is for you to create a custom shell package that provides an extended start page object with the property you need. An (untested) example class was provided by them:

Code: Select all

using SoftPro.Select.Controls;

internal class SessionExtensibilityObject : IHtmlBrowser2ExtensibilityObject
{
    private IServiceProvider _site;
    private HtmlBrowser2 _browser;

public SessionExtensibilityObject(IServiceProvider site)
    {
        _site = site;
        SelectServer sps = _site.GetService<SelectServer>();
        this.UserName = sps.AuthenticatedUserName
    }

void IHtmlBrowser2ExtensibilityObject.Initialize(HtmlBrowser2 browser)
    {
        _browser = browser;
    }

public string UserName {get; private set;}
}
In the shell package initialization, you must register the new class with the IStartPageProvider:

var spp = GetService<IStartPageProvider>();
spp.Register("Session", () => new SessionExtensibilityObject(this));
Finally, your start page you would get the new property.

var name = Session.UserName
chuck1440

Post by chuck1440 »

Bob,

Thx for the reply. I tried the example class you provided, and would like to relate my experience/discoveries for any other viewers.

The sample code creates a browser extension called Session which exposes an property called UserName. I found that the property was not visible to the javascript code. However, when I changed it to a public method, it was visible to the start page javascript. So, something like the following worked:

internal class SessionExtensibilityObject : IHtmlBrowser2ExtensibilityObject
    {
        private IServiceProvider _site;
        private HtmlBrowser2 _browser;
        private string userName;

public SessionExtensibilityObject(IServiceProvider site)
        {
            _site = site;

SelectServer sps = (SelectServer)_site.GetService(typeof(SelectServer));
            userName = sps.AuthenticatedUserName;
        }

void IHtmlBrowser2ExtensibilityObject.Initialize(HtmlBrowser2 browser)
        {
            _browser = browser;
        }

public string GetUserName() => userName;
    }
On the javascript side, the call to the method returns a Promise. So, to access the values, I used something like this:

function getUserName() {
            try {
                Session.getUserName().then(                         // Call the Session extension - then handle the result
                    function (value) { display(value); },            // do something with the returned data
                    function (error) { alert('error:' + error); }    // ... or, report the error
                );
            }
            catch (err) {
                alert(err.message);
            }
        }
And it is possible to return multiple values from the extension method using an anonymous object or a Dictionary. Thx again for your assistance.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Thank you so much for providing the follow up for your solution. We appreciate that you shared your time and effort with others on the DevForum!