Start Page in Boylan release of SoftPro Select

Discussions related to SoftPro Select Server development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

BobRichards

Re: Start Page in Boylan release of SoftPro Select

Post by BobRichards »

I'm happy to help so this is not a waste of time. :-) Your Guid format is a bit off. Below is an example that works on my system:

Code: Select all

// Valid guid format.
sp-select://./ordertracking/order?id=A5B587E5-12BD-E011-96CC-E02A82F630C8

// Your guid string is not a valid format for a 16 byte (32 hex character) value.
sp-select://./ordertracking/order?id=11111111-2222-3333-444444444444
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
joe.mag

Post by joe.mag »

Sorry, I was transcribing and obfuscate due to security restrictions and my guid was malformed--I'm actually using the same format as you provided.

In an effort to distill things down to the basics, I have created an html page that I load via a hidden link from my production start page (see attached RPOrderLoaderDebug.zip). When the page loads and runs the one line of javascript, I get the 'undefined' error I mentioned.
Attachments
RPOrderLoaderDebug.zip
(484 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times
joe.mag

Post by joe.mag »

And I'm using this query to get the GUID I use in my uri:

select Guid from SelectDb.pf.[Order] where Number = '123456'

where '123456' is an actual order I know is in our system.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

I'm working on the issue. One thing I came across is that JavaScript is case sensitive so the code

alert("Error: " + err.Message);
Should be

alert("Error: " + err.message);
That results in a slightly more helpful message - Error: window.external.OpenDocument is not a function. That being said, the HTML doc you send me was really useful to look into the issue.

I have noticed that if I paste the full order URI into a browser on my system (sp-select://./ordertracking/order?id=A5B587E5-12BD-E011-96CC-E02A82F630C8), it will launch Select as I expect.

I'm afraid I don't know the reason for the issues. Are you using the same browsers? I wonder if it is a permission issue since many browsers disallow scripts from untrusted sources. As far as I know, the last Select 4.2 went out at the beginning of 2018 so this may be a long standing change. You will need to contact the SoftPro Customer Service phone number for help. If they don't have an answer, they can contact the R&D department for resolution.

Sorry.
joe.mag

Post by joe.mag »

Bob, no need to apologize at all! You are, and have always been, exceedingly helpful--I appreciate your feedback (which I read quickly) and contact support as needed. I'll be sure to update this thread with anything I learn!

Thanks again!
joe.mag

Post by joe.mag »

Bob,

Thanks again for your help with this matter. It turns out your observation "I have noticed that if I paste the full order URI into a browser on my system (sp-select://./ordertracking/order?id=A5B587E5-12BD-E011-96CC-E02A82F630C8), it will launch Select as I expect." was the key.

If I replace "window.external.OpenDocument" with a simple "window.open" (so entire javascript line reads

window.open("sp-select://./ordertracking/order?id=A5B587E5-12BD-E011-96CC-E02A82F630C8");
) then everything works as expected!

I'm guessing you hit the nail on the head and 4.3 did away with OpenDocument and began fully supporting the select:// protocol so OpenDocument was no longer needed.

Bottom line is you've help me solve my problem and I'm most appreciative!
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Thanks for figuring it out and passing it on to us. Good job. You certainly know more about JavaScript than I do. :D