SDK Installer - Major problem

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
roteague

SDK Installer - Major problem

Post by roteague »

I tried installing the SDK for 2.3. I already installed the Server and Clients (and validated that the client exists). The install problem stopped saying that I need to have the client installed. Now, I can't install anything. I tried downloading the installer clean-up utility - it won't install. I tried editing the registry, but keep getting an error saying the registry entry can't be edited. This is causing me major issues, and I am not happy.
Robert
roteague

Re: SDK Installer - Major problem

Post by roteague »

Ok, I got the install problem cleaned up. You need to delete the key hkey_local_machine\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress. It took me a couple of reboots to do this.

Now, the orignal problem still exists. The install won't recognize the Client.
InstallError.JPG
InstallError.JPG (59.28 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
I guess I'll have to copy the files manually.
Robert
Hadi Chemaly

Post by Hadi Chemaly »

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Did you uninstall the previous SDK? Did you uninstall it before or after uninstalling the previous Client?
2. Verify that registry key "InstallLocation" exists under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SoftPro\Select\2.3 and its value is set to the location of the Client (e.g. C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\).

Can you zip the SDK installation log file %TEMP%\SPSSdk.log and attach it here?

Note: The SDK version must be the same as the Client version.
roteague

Post by roteague »

I've been unable to unistall the old version, for the same reason; it won't uninstall without the client being installed. This not only affects me, but others in the office.
Uninstall.JPG
Uninstall.JPG (71.17 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Unfortunately, there are API changes, which we weren't aware of, so none of my existing packages install. I haven't seen any documentation showing what these changes were. So, at the moment all my development activities have stopped.
Attachments
SSDKLog.zip
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Robert
Melissa McBerkowitz

Post by Melissa McBerkowitz »

We'll have someone call you to work through these issues.
roteague

Post by roteague »

Melissa McBerkowitz wrote:We'll have someone call you to work through these issues.
I'm going to be out of the office tomorrow, but you can call jdavis (he is having the same problem).
Robert
roteague

Post by roteague »

I uninstalled everything, then reinstalled the 2.2 client. That allowed me to uninstall the SDK. I then reinstalled 2.3 with no problems.
Robert
Hadi Chemaly

Post by Hadi Chemaly »

In the future we might make the SDK uninstallation independent from the Client installation, but as of right now the MSI (Microsoft Installer) technology implicitly creates this dependency. For example, you would get the same error trying uninstall the Visual Studio SDK or a VS Package after having uninstalled Visual Studio. A workaround for the time being, as you have guessed, is to uninstall the Select SDK before uninstalling the Select Client of the same version.
danvanf

Post by danvanf »

Another method to get around this problem requires one to be comfortable deleting from the registry. Search the Registry for "Select SDK" and delete all Keys which contained a Name or Data that matches, which are not an obvious key of another application. Also Delete the "Select SDK" Key

All GUID Keys, where the Name is also a GUID, with the Data containing "Select SDK" get deleted.(the entire key) There are a few OS level keys you'll find, like Most Recently Used File lists, be sure NOT to delete those keys. (your OS may get annoyed at you) I did delete the Name/Data for those, since there's no reason to have something on a MRU list that doesn't exist, but on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt anything either.

Rename the "Select SDK" Directory.

You now have a clean enough system that the installer will work.

You might have to reboot after the registry edits but I don't believe I did.

Disclaimer: Obviously this method is not for the unknowing. Don't do it as your first Registry editing experience. Backup before you edit. You break it, you own it. For the purpose of this message, Keys are on the left side of the registry editor, Name and Data are column descriptions on the right side. I've done this on 3 machines for 2 users with success.

Dan Van Fleet
danvanfleet@SoftProDeveloper.com
I blog at http://DanVanFleet.com on SoftPro and other things