What does select.exe /setup do after package registration?

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
mrisen

What does select.exe /setup do after package registration?

Post by mrisen »

I see that after running spregpkg.exe /m:register /p:myfile.dll, that the registry is updated. I have some examples that show that select.exe /setup needs to be run after that step. What does this command do? It's failing on our new installs but I can't tell why. I think it's a permissions issue, but I can't tell if it's the file system, the registry, active directory, or something else.
John Morris

Re: What does select.exe /setup do after package registratio

Post by John Morris »

Have you tried to run this command manually? We will need a callstack to help diagnose the issue. Try running the command under a debugger.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

I have, and it does not appear to fail when run manually. This only fails when run inside the installer and I haven't been able to get more information. Perhaps if you told me what this command does, I can troubleshoot in that direction.
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

It merges internal command metadata (icons, ids, structure) into a cache file in the shared temp path (%programdata%). It also creates and/or updates the register hive location for the shell.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
mrisen

Post by mrisen »

Ok, I will try unrestricting the %ProgramData% foleder before I run the install and see if that has an effect. I will do the same for the registry. Thanks, John!