lookups set row data to empty string

Discussions related to custom development with Select.
czentman

lookups set row data to empty string

Post by czentman »

When I set the row.item("test") = row.newvalue(false, "test") - that works, but when I set to empty string ie.row.item("test") = row.newvalue(false, ""). I don't get an error but it doesn't work (or save anything on my row when I do it).
Randy Mellow

Re: lookups set row data to empty string

Post by Randy Mellow »

Could you provide some more information about what you need to accomplish. From what you've posted it looks like the "test" column should receive an empty string for its value.

What version of Select are you programming against? If you cast your row to an IDataErrorInfo object and look at your "test" column, does it contain any error information? When you say it doesn't work are you inspecting the element in memory or are you saying the new value isn't serialized to the server and ultimately stored in the database?
czentman

Post by czentman »

Yes. I just want to pass the column in an empty string value and it doesn't work. I didn't cast my row to an idataerrorinfo object. I can pass the value with any other value, even a string value with a space like " " but not "", totally empty value. When I say it doesn't work, what I mean is that my whole row doesn't get updated if any of the values I set in the row is an empty string. If all the values I set have data in the string, then the row gets updated fine in the lookup table, but not if I set any value of empty string. It doesn't give me any errors, it's just that my whole row doesn't get saved in the table.
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

Look at the IDataErrorInfo information. It probably contains an error about the empty string. Does setting the value to null work?
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro