spregpkg.exe Causes Select to abort

Discussions related to SoftPro Select user interface development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

muhsmann

spregpkg.exe Causes Select to abort

Post by muhsmann »

I'm trying to create a package and I've used the registering method contained the how to sample for building packages. On the post build step of my project in VS I have:
copy $(TargetFileName) "C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\"
"C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\spregpkg.exe" /r /p:$(TargetFileName) /rootsuffix:Exp
"C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\Select.exe" /setup /rootsuffix:Exp
During this phase I receive 'Select has encountered and error ... shuting down' message. I tried running the spregpkg.exe in command window in the C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select folder like this:
spregpkg.exe /r /p:PrintHandlerPackage.dll /rootsuffix:Exp

I get the same error message popup and then I get the output in the command window:
Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Unrecognized command line argument.
Parameter name: r
at SoftPro.Select.Shell.Registration.Program.ParseArgs()
at SoftPro.Select.Shell.Registration.Program.Main()

I tried building the sample app again and it exhibits the same behavior.

I noticed rotegue had this very issue on 12/10/2008 Subject (Select Crashes when Compiling Packages) on the Shell (User Interface) board - it looked like it was a version mis-match between the SDK and the Select client. I think I'm on Morgan .63 - a SoftPro tech installed this version - but I'm not sure how to verify versions. I'm not sure what's causing this.
I'm under the gun here so I need to get this resolved asap! Thanks!
muhsmann

Re: spregpkg.exe Causes Select to abort

Post by muhsmann »

It looks like the switch to register has changed?

C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\spregpkg.exe" /m:register /p:$(TargetFileName) /rootsuffix:Exp

instead of
C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\spregpkg.exe" /r /p:$(TargetFileName) /rootsuffix:Exp

Anyways this change seems to have worked.
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

Yes, the register argument changed to support enhanced functionality. We have a work item in our system to correct the unhandled exception you came across - likely by displaying command syntax help instead.

Glad to hear you are up and running again.
Hadi Chemaly

Post by Hadi Chemaly »

The updated spregpkg.exe arguments are described in the Select 2.3 (Morgan) SDK Help, including the 'm' that stands for "mode".