Order Save Event in Select 2.4

Discussions related to SoftPro Select user interface development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

roteague

Order Save Event in Select 2.4

Post by roteague »

Is there any way from within Select that I can capture the order save event, using a custom package? I would like to be able to make sure that certain custom fields get populated at save time.

Thanks,
Robert
Mark McKenna

Re: Order Save Event in Select 2.4

Post by Mark McKenna »

The ability to write your own save validation rules is not currently supported, which would be necessary to actively participate in the Order saving process. You could subscribe to the appropriate event(s) fired by the Event Notification service, but that is after-the-fact and would not warn the user that the order is missing information as Select is preparing to save the data.

We are actively working on making that sort of interaction possible in a future release.
roteague

Post by roteague »

Mark McKenna wrote:The ability to write your own save validation rules is not currently supported, which would be necessary to actively participate in the Order saving process. You could subscribe to the appropriate event(s) fired by the Event Notification service, but that is after-the-fact and would not warn the user that the order is missing information as Select is preparing to save the data. We are actively working on making that sort of interaction possible in a future release.
The Event Notifiction process is what I'm trying to get around. My Notification Service currently gets a value from an ancillary system, which then needs to be saved in a custom field in the order. Unfortunately, I can't open the order in a way that will allow me to update the order.

Thanks Mark, I'll have to investigate other solutions until this capability is added.
Robert
roteague

Post by roteague »

Mark McKenna wrote:The ability to write your own save validation rules is not currently supported, which would be necessary to actively participate in the Order saving process. You could subscribe to the appropriate event(s) fired by the Event Notification service, but that is after-the-fact and would not warn the user that the order is missing information as Select is preparing to save the data.

We are actively working on making that sort of interaction possible in a future release.
Mark,

I was wondering if there is any movement on this, perhaps a future service pack? Currently, I'm hooking into a specific UI component that fires when the user selects the Order Type combo box. When this happens I call an external system, to get an value from it, which I then store in a custom field. This really is too much of a hack, and I would rather do this further down the line. The Order Event Notification Service doesn't work, since I need to update a custom field, and the order is still locked at this point.

Thanks,
Robert