Management Console - Users

Discussions related to custom development with Select.
enendza

Management Console - Users

Post by enendza »

Hi -

We have a number of users that have the checkbox "Allow edit" on their user profilt set to true.

Two questions:

What does this flag mean / do? Does it mean that the user doesn't get updated from Active Directory?
Where in the database can I globally update this flag?

See print screen

Thanks in advance for your help

Emma
Attachments
SoftProUserAuth.png
SoftProUserAuth.png (29.45 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
BobRichards

Re: Management Console - Users

Post by BobRichards »

The ability to create/update/delete user information is controlled by a permission in the SPAdmin Management Console. The separate permission settings can be applied to groups and/or users. (Location in SPAdmin: Security/Permissions, Permissions/SPAdmin/Users/Groups)

I *believe* the purpose of this checkbox is to enable the textboxes so the user information can be changed - assuming they have the permissions listed above. I don't see a reason normal users should have this permission. You may want to consider removing the permission from normal users and leaving it to you administrators to create new users, delete old ones, and change/view potentially sensitive user information.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
enendza

Post by enendza »

Thanks - I thought it was just a UI element to enable the fields BUT ... After I edit and save the changes I go back to the user record DAYS later and the checkbox is still checked. I was thinking this was database driven.

It was also reported the the Active Directory updates don't work if the user profile has this checkbox checked? Ever heard of that issue happening?

I can't find anything in the database related to this field, therefore, validating it is just a UI field, but that doesn't explain the behavior that was reported above.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

This was trickier than I initially thought. Good job pressing for a better answer. I found a developer that works in this area.

When the box is checked for an Active Directory user, it means that you want to modify previously written information synced from AD with a different value. While checked, subsequent AD changes will be ignored so the manually entered info is not overwritten.
enendza

Post by enendza »

Hi Bob -

Thanks for the additional info. Now is there a FLAG in the DB that I can "flip" so that no user profile is in EDIT mode?
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

You can see the users that are in the editable mode:

Code: Select all

SELECT *
FROM core.SecurityIdentity s
JOIN core.SecurityIdentityProperty p
ON s.ID = p.SecurityIdentityID
WHERE p.Name = 'AllowUserOverride'
	AND p.Value = 'true'
But if the Edit checkbox is reset, the original values do not return. I even forced a Select AD sync but that did not restore it either. I will have to send this to another department for answers. How important is this to you?
enendza

Post by enendza »

Let me check with the client - thanks for the response
enendza

Post by enendza »

Thanks for the response. When I test this in our environment on the click event of the "Edit" button (turning it off) the information changes. ?? Anyway, I think we are good for now. Thanks again for the help