Generating documents outside the Select environment

Discussions related to Crystal Reports development.

Moderator: Lisa Ennis

dfrandsen

Generating documents outside the Select environment

Post by dfrandsen »

I'd like to be able to generate certain SoftPro documents (specifically the HUD) from a standalone application. In other words, I'd like to be able to call some assembly, pass in the order number, and get back a PDF report. Without knowing the mechanics of exactly how the Select client generates docs, I'm not sure if this is even possible, or if so, where to start. Any suggestions?
Mark McKenna

Re: Generating documents outside the Select environment

Post by Mark McKenna »

Currently that is not possible because of internal dependencies, but it is one of the things we are working on for the next major release.
mlevi

Post by mlevi »

Hi,
I see this question was posted a while ago. Was this feature ever released? If so would you be able to provide me an example of how we can implement it.
WE are looking to specifically know if there is a supported way to render one of our SoftPro reports (which is a crystal report) via the API. This would include sending it the parameters the report uses, and saving it to the file system as PDF version.

Rendering it via the current Reports UI where the user inputs the parameters is not really an option for what we need.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

You can print using API calls (see API example for Crystal Reports).
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro