Wrong Font Rendering

Discussions related to ReadyDoc development.
kendale.wyatt

Wrong Font Rendering

Post by kendale.wyatt »

On some of the documents that I create, I have the font set to Arial but when the document renders in SoftPro some of the text shows up as Times New Roman. For example, The buyer name and address show up as Arial but the city, state, zip show up as Times New Roman. Any suggestions on what might be causing this?
BobRichards

Re: Wrong Font Rendering

Post by BobRichards »

Can you attach a ReadyDoc for us to use as an example of the problem you are seeing? That way we can determine how best to help. Do not embed the ReadyDoc in the reply - please send it as an attachment!
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
kendale.wyatt

Post by kendale.wyatt »

Attached is an example.
Attachments
Affidavit(Homestead)##.rtf
(57.61 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

I asked one of our reports developers (thanks, Wayne) to take a look at the file you sent and here are his comments:

So, after some analysis of the document that was provided, I noticed a few irregularities. In this line of text, for example:
Ruler.png
Ruler.png (32.16 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Notice I included the ruler from Microsoft Word, which shows a tab set every half inch. Unless the customer manually set tabs every .5", this normally indicates that the text was copied and pasted from another source.

When copying and pasting from another source -- that source can also contain other latent formatting that can cause problems with the SPS document rendering engine.

I wish it were more of an exact science --- but, in this situation, we usually tell customers to "scrub" any text that is being copied and pasted from another source. The process will ensure that any latent formatting is removed from the text being copied/pasted:

1) Copy text from source
2) Paste in notepad
3) Copy from notepad
4) Paste in destination

Another option for removing formatting is in the Microsoft Ribbon, located here:
Ribbon.png
Ribbon.png (182.98 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Highlighting "problem" text and clicking this button will help clear any formatting that may be linked to the text -- however, this button will also remove any and all formatting from said text (e.g. bold, underline, indents, etc.). It will have to be redone once the formatting has been cleared.

Also, after discovering an issue like this, your best bet is to start with a blank Word Document scrubbing all text before pasting.

Following these steps for "cleaner" document development should help avoid some of these issues in the future.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro