Prior Policy coverage amount warning

Questions about and code samples for custom order rules and validation within Select.
EricaHH

Prior Policy coverage amount warning

Post by EricaHH »

Currently when the Prior Policy Amount is more than the current sales price the user gets a warning that states "Prior policy coverage amount is greater than the owners policy coverage amount". I want to change this to an error rather than a warning as our users aren't even looking at the warning and it is throwing off the calculations. I believe this is a SoftPro rule, as I can't find it anywhere to change it.

Is there anyway to make this into an error so that the users can't save the file until they correct it?

Thanks!
Erica
BobRichards

Re: Prior Policy coverage amount warning

Post by BobRichards »

There are two possible solutions to this depending on what you are trying to do.
  1. First (and easiest) is to prevent the prior policy adjustment amount calculation from using an coverage amount that is greater than the policy coverage amount. You can do this by modifying the policies in the Management Console. Go to the desired policy(s) then open the Prior Policy tab. Change the Calculation settings value for "Allow adjustment to be based on higher coverage amount" to "No". Then if they enter a prior policy coverage amount greater than the policy coverage amount, the calculation will use the policy coverage instead of the prior policy coverage. This is the preferred solution if possible.
  2. Second. You can override the default rule behavior by writing a COR using the following partial example:

Code: Select all

def PremiumCalculation_CoverageAmount_Validate(args):
    	if {your_condition}
    		args.RaiseError('Prior policy coverage amount is greater than the owners policy coverage amount')
I strongly encourage you to use the first choice unless there is a really strong reason for not doing it. Overriding default functionality means you have to keep up with every change SoftPro makes to the rules in that area so you don't hide some other behavior we introduce in a future release.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
EricaHH

Post by EricaHH »

I will use the first solution. I didn't know that was an option, so that is great.

Thanks so much for your help!
EricaHH

Post by EricaHH »

I went into the policies under Management Console and "Allow adjustment to be based on higher coverage amount?" is already set to 'No'. Yet, when I go into a file and put the prior policy amount as more than the current policy amount, it is still calculating on the higher amount.

For instance, I have a current owners policy at $100,000. When I add a prior policy for $100,000 I get a credit of $172.50. When I change the prior policy to $105,000 it changes the credit to $181.12.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

In that case, I would contact your Customer Service Representative to verify your configuration settings. It works as I expect for me - but I probably forgot about some setting that is different between our systems.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro