Installing select add on

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

Shevy

Installing select add on

Post by Shevy »

How do I put my add on for select live and how do I install it on all the users machines?
Mark McKenna

Re: Installing select add on

Post by Mark McKenna »

What is it exactly that you're trying to add?
Shevy

Post by Shevy »

I have created a "printhandler", it is working in the EXP hive. I just want to know what the next step is to deploy.
Thanks.
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

If you have the print job handler fully working in the Exp hive, deployment to a default hive is nearly the same process (using spregpkg.exe) except that a package deployment license is required and you don't provide the "rootsuffix" command line switch during registration. Package deployment license files may be purchased from SoftPro Sales and are embedded as a resource within your custom package prior to registration.

As an aside, the SDK that ships with the upcoming "Morgan" release of Select will have some great new samples in it - one of which implements a Print Job Handler from start to finish.
Shevy

Post by Shevy »

Thanks.
Is there anyone specific I need to contact?
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

I think you could just call SoftPro Sales at (800) 848-0143 and tell them you wish to purchase a custom package deployment license for Select. They can give you specifics, but I think the license file we generate for you is based on the fully qualified assembly name of your package into which the file will be embedded.
czentman

Post by czentman »

Shevy and I are having alot of trouble with this. We got the license Sam sent to us. We added as a resource as described in the help SDK. We modified the code to add the license name. We changed all the build events and post build events to remove the /rootsuffix:exp. It's still not working and we're at a loss. We saw it in the registry under packages and under products, we also tried unregistering and re-building. Nothing seems to do the trick.
Shevy

Post by Shevy »

I tried installing the license for my package and when I compiled I received the following error:

Error 1 Invalid Resx file. '', hexadecimal value 0x11, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1. C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\SaveToWeb\SaveToWeb\PackageLicense.resx 1 1 SaveToWeb
Hadi Chemaly

Post by Hadi Chemaly »

I believe this issue has already been resolved offline, but as a closure I will list the steps required to successfully deploy a licensed package to a live Select environment:

1. Contact SoftPro Sales at (800) 848-0143 to obtail a package license based on the fully qualified assembly name of the package.
2. Add the license file (e.g. PackageLicense.lic) as a file resource to your package project.
3. On the package class, drop the attribute [ProvideResources] where the parameter passed to the attribute is the namespace where the license resource resides. For example:

Code: Select all

[ProvideResources("MyPackage.Properties.Resources")]
4. Specify the license file (without extension) as the 4th parameter of the [RegisterPackage] attribute. For example:

Code: Select all

[RegisterPackage("MyCompany", "MyPackage", "1.0", "PackageLicense")]
5. Rebuild your project in Release mode.
6. If the SoftPro Select Package Visual Studio template was used, the project assembly should have already been copied to the Select installation folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select). Otherwise, copy the assembly manually.
7. Register your package in the Select live hive using the spregpkg.exe utility, i.e. from a command prompt run the command "C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\spregpkg.exe" /m:register /p:"MyPackage.dll". Note that we are not specifying /rootsuffix:Exp as we are now deploying in the live hive.
8. Run Select setup, i.e. from a command prompt run the command "C:\Program Files\SoftPro\Select\Select.exe" /setup. Also note the absence of /rootsuffix:Exp as we are now working with the live hive.

Your package should now run in the live hive.
Last edited by Hadi Chemaly on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed spregpkg.exe argument from '/r' to '/m'.
czentman

Post by czentman »

Just for the record, we got it working with the <Provide Resources> being MyPackage.Resources, it's not MyPackage.Settings.Resources.