Event Handler on adding new Contact in Lookup

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

czentman

Event Handler on adding new Contact in Lookup

Post by czentman »

I'm looking looking to add coding in Select capture the data that a user just added/edited as a new contact in the Contact (i.e. Attorney) Lookup and compare that data with another system's data. For example, a user added a contact "Mr A." with company "ABC" and phone #"111". Now, I want to have my own code (preferable VB.net) that I can access this data and compare it to my other CRM Contact Management SYstem's data to see if it also has the same Mr. A working at ABC company with phone #111. If one does exist, I would like to tell the user that this contact entry exists in our Maximizer system and to "link" them (I would then have code mark something in Maximizer with Select's entry id). Is there a way, to have some event handler upon adding or editing contacts in these Contact Lookups? I know I can check upon a save a file, but that is pretty far from when the user actually added the contact record- which is much more ideal for me.
Mark McKenna

Re: Event Handler on adding new Contact in Lookup

Post by Mark McKenna »

We currently do not fire an event upon the Select Server in response to lookup entries being added or otherwise modified, so there is nothing at present for you to subscribe to. Lookup data is saved independently from the Order so an event would need to occur when the user commits lookup changes, specifically.

I will be sure that our product manager sees this request so that it may be considered for a future release.
czentman

Post by czentman »

Fine. So I would like to create another tab and editor window with a "lookup manager" that users can add/remove/edit entries in the lookup there. I'm starting with the shell. I'm trying to add an editor window with the filtering fields and the grid to do a similar thing that the regular lookup manager does. I was looking at the code sample of Custom Lookup Table Package - it's hard that I can't really use it or even build it. It even gives errors on several of the references and I can't seem to find these dll's - using
using SoftPro.UI.Controls;
using SoftPro.BusinessObjects.Base;
using SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client;
using SoftPro.Select.Client;
I cannot seem to add any of these references to my project. I don't even know if they're necessary for what I'm trying to do since I don't need to have an order open for this project. It does bother me that I can't get to these dll's to add to my project anyway.

Please help in these regards - 1- on my project, what do I need to will accomplish my goal (editor window, grid, etc) , 2-what references I need besides SHell and shell.registration and 3- why I can't get these other references, on the chance that I need them for my project and even for future reference.

thanks
roteague

Post by roteague »

czentman wrote:Fine. So I would like to create another tab and editor window with a "lookup manager" that users can add/remove/edit entries in the lookup there. I'm starting with the shell. I'm trying to add an editor window with the filtering fields and the grid to do a similar thing that the regular lookup manager does. I was looking at the code sample of Custom Lookup Table Package - it's hard that I can't really use it or even build it. It even gives errors on several of the references and I can't seem to find these dll's - using
using SoftPro.UI.Controls;
using SoftPro.BusinessObjects.Base;
using SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client;
using SoftPro.Select.Client;
I cannot seem to add any of these references to my project. I don't even know if they're necessary for what I'm trying to do since I don't need to have an order open for this project. It does bother me that I can't get to these dll's to add to my project anyway.

Please help in these regards - 1- on my project, what do I need to will accomplish my goal (editor window, grid, etc) , 2-what references I need besides SHell and shell.registration and 3- why I can't get these other references, on the chance that I need them for my project and even for future reference.

thanks
Did you try browsing to your Select install directory when you added your references?
Robert