SPAdminDrop - Creating DropDown List items

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

roteague

SPAdminDrop - Creating DropDown List items

Post by roteague »

How would I go about the process of automating the process of creating drop-down lists. I don't want a user to have to type these into SPAdmin. I know there is a DropDownListExport and DropDownListImport stored procedures, but I don't know what the schema for the XML is supposed to be. Is it possible to just access the data in the table directly?

Thanks,
Robert
Garrett Groff

Re: SPAdminDrop - Creating DropDown List items

Post by Garrett Groff »

Yes, it's possible to add the data directly into the database. Each dropdown category has its own table. For example, zrefbillcode, zreftransactioncode, and zrefdispositioncode correspond to the Bill Code, Transaction Code, and Disposition Code dropdowns (note that most, but not all, DropDown items begin with zref.

Issue the following command to see current values for the aforementioned tables. Be sure you first set the database context to your Select database.

Code: Select all

select * from zrefbillcode
select * from zreftransactioncode
select * from zrefdispositioncode
Take special care to use the next available SortOrder value (use SPAdmin to re-sort). I recommend setting the IsProtected bit values to 0 (false).
Mark McKenna

Post by Mark McKenna »

A quick followup to this. Currently, the only supported provision for importing dropdown data into Select directly is by using the Import Data utility of SPAdmin, but that requires as its source a binary .spxf file which was previously created (elsewhere) using a data export power tool - which is currently an Implementation utility internal to SoftPro. This allows data to be transferred from one database to another, so clearly that doesn't help you here.

We do have a request in our system for importing dropdown data into the application from, say, a spreadsheet or XML text file using an Import Wizard similar to that used for users and lookup tables, but I don't have a definitive release date for that.
roteague

Post by roteague »

Thanks Mark. I was able to import custom fields using the CustomFieldDefinitionSave stored procedure, but wasn't able to get the Drop Down part to work. I'll take a look at this. Thanks for the tip, and follow-up.
Robert
roteague

Post by roteague »

I've run into one issue with regards to this. Some of the custom fields I want to add, can't be added using the stored procedure, CustomFieldDefinitionSave. It looks like there is no corresponding View for them. They include: Builder, HazardInsuranceAgent and LoanServicer. The common thread with these is that there are no SP defined customed fields for them. However, they do appear under the Context drop down. It seems plausible that they are therefore populated in a different manner, although I haven't been able to determine how. Is there something I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert
Melissa McBerkowitz

Post by Melissa McBerkowitz »

Thanks, Robert. You're correct, there are no views for these 3. We currently have this logged as a bug targeted for the v2.3 release in March.
Melissa McBerkowitz
VP of Product Strategy, SoftPro
roteague

Post by roteague »

Thanks Melissa, I'll keep that in mind, and watch for the 2.3 release.
Robert