SoftPro Error Messages

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

roteague

SoftPro Error Messages

Post by roteague »

Is there anyway to get better error reporting in SoftPro?

I just reinstalled SoftPro (to SP5) and now I can't get my SnapSection to load. The only error message I get is: "Failed to Open Screen" "Could not create SnapSection 'Timeline'", and I get the following in the Immediate Window:

Code: Select all

Select.exe Error: 0 : Failed to open screen Could not create SnapSection called "Timeline"
   at SoftPro.UI.Base.SnapSectionContainerBase.AddSnapSections(ScreenNode[] children, IBusinessObject context)
   at SoftPro.UI.Base.ScreenContainer.OpenScreenEx(String screenName, IBusinessObject context, ScreenDefinition screenDef)
   at SoftPro.UI.Base.ScreenContainer.OpenScreen(ExplorerBarItem screenEBItem, IBusinessObject context)
   at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Controls.OrderEditor.OpenScreenEx(ExplorerBarItem screenEBItem, IBusinessObject iContext, Boolean openInNewTab, OpenScreenType type)
Now, I have to spend a lot of time removing things, just to see if I can figure out what is wrong. The current error reporting is provides no value or help in troubleshooting the problem.
Robert
roteague

Re: SoftPro Error Messages

Post by roteague »

BTW, I did get it working again, but I expended a lot of time on the issue.
Robert
Garrett Groff

Post by Garrett Groff »

We currently support using the "/log" switch (as in

select.exe /log
from the command line) and using the Log window in the application--accessible via the Ctrl-Shift-L shortcut). The Windows Event Viewer (eventvwr from the Windows Run prompt) might also contain helpful troubleshooting information.

Note that when using the "/log" switch, the log file is located here (assuming version 2.2 is being used):
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\SoftPro\Select\2.2
roteague

Post by roteague »

I just upgraded to SP6 and my SnapSection is broken again. Same error message as before:

Select.exe Error: 0 : Failed to open screen Could not create SnapSection called "Timeline"
   at SoftPro.UI.Base.SnapSectionContainerBase.AddSnapSections(ScreenNode[] children, IBusinessObject context)
   at SoftPro.UI.Base.ScreenContainer.OpenScreenEx(String screenName, IBusinessObject context, ScreenDefinition screenDef)
   at SoftPro.UI.Base.ScreenContainer.OpenScreen(ExplorerBarItem screenEBItem, IBusinessObject context)
   at SoftPro.OrderTracking.Controls.OrderEditor.OpenScreenEx(ExplorerBarItem screenEBItem, IBusinessObject iContext, Boolean openInNewTab, OpenScreenType type)
Nothing in the log window except what I can get from Visual Studio's Immediate Window. Guess what the Log file says:

[09:09:29.891] [0x00000003] Failed to open screen Could not create SnapSection called "Timeline"
Nothing new here.
Robert
roteague

Post by roteague »

BTW, the issue is that the install program overwrites the existing IntegrationRegistration.xml file. However, SoftPro's error handling doesn't tell me this.
Robert
Garrett Groff

Post by Garrett Groff »

roteague wrote:BTW, the issue is that the install program overwrites the existing IntegrationRegistration.xml file. However, SoftPro's error handling doesn't tell me this.
I've conveyed this information to management for prioritization. The issue has been logged as a bug to be fixed in the next release. Thank you for sharing this information with us.