Error connecting to Select Server

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

czentman

Error connecting to Select Server

Post by czentman »

I am having a problem connecting to the Select server.
I am not able to run IIS as a group. So I added the user that is running IIS to select and that didnt work.
I also tried running IIS with user Admin, and that didnt either work.
What do i need to do?
I saw this post viewtopic.php?f=17&t=168
but it didnt seem to work for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
czentman

Re: Error connecting to Select Server

Post by czentman »

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object is the error I get on the following code
public sps As New SoftPro.Select.Client.SelectServer("http://spapp:8000") ', credentials). I have this code with and without credentials and get the same error. I tried checking the user that runs the web site on iis for this website and that is an admin user in select as well.
Randy Mellow

Post by Randy Mellow »

Do you have any more information regarding the error? Perhaps a stack trace from the event viewer. Also, could you provide specifics about your environment that could help us troubleshoot the problem. What version of Select, what version of IIS, what OS and the basic network topology would be useful.
czentman

Post by czentman »

I fixed the problem of the selectserver with adding to the web.config identity impersonate=true but now I'm getting an error on the lookup itself.

My environment is a .net 10, framework 4.0, iis 5.2, os windows server 03

This is my code:

Dim sps As New SoftPro.Select.Client.SelectServer("http://spapp:8000") ', credentials)
Dim spec As New SoftPro.OrderTracking.Common.LookupQuerySpec()
Dim lookups As SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.Lookups = sps.GetService(Of SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.Lookups)()
'Dim StrFix As New StringFixes
Dim LookupsTable As New DataTable
Dim dsLookups As New DataSet
sps.EnsureAuthenticated()

spec.Filter = "[LookupCode] = 'MADI004'"
spec.Table = "Client"
spec.SchemaOnly = False
Dim ilookuptable As SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.ILookupTable = lookups.QueryTable(spec)

This is the error.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.FaultException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 22: spec.Table = "Client"
Line 23: spec.SchemaOnly = False
Line 24: Dim ilookuptable As SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.ILookupTable = lookups.QueryTable(spec)
Line 25:
Line 26: ' GridView1.DataSource = ilookuptable

Source File: \\devwebs\inet\MTAWebDevNEW\Generic\TransactionsList\SelectServerTest\Default.aspx.vb Line: 24

Stack Trace:

[FaultException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
SoftPro.ClientModel.Proxies.ClientProxy`1.OnHandleFaultException(FaultException exception) +33
SoftPro.ClientModel.Proxies.ClientProxy`1.HandleFaultException(FaultException exception) +10
SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.Proxies.Lookups.LookupsClient.BeginQueryTable(LookupQuerySpec spec) +82
SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.Lookups.BeginQueryTable(LookupQuerySpec spec) +61
SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.Lookups.QueryTable(LookupQuerySpec spec) +13
SelectServerTest._Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in \\devwebs\inet\MTAWebDevNEW\Generic\TransactionsList\SelectServerTest\Default.aspx.vb:24
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1
Randy Mellow

Post by Randy Mellow »

OK, the approach I suggest is to first verify the lookup information. Make sure there is a lookup table named "Client" and make sure it has a column named "LookupCode". If that checks out then we'll have to get the error log from the mid-tier since the exception is being thrown from the Select service. That might provide more information but, generally, this functionality is dependent on receiving "valid" requests so the usual suspects are the table and column names.