Publishing hangs indefinitely

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

daniorg

Publishing hangs indefinitely

Post by daniorg »

When I use publish it opens the progress window but hangs indefinitely. Hitting Cancel only disables the button and changes the status of the dialog to "Cancelling..." The only way to get out of it is to task manager, end process Select.exe.

I thought it may have been the plugin I am developing, so I removed it all. And ran in the non Experimental Build, still, I get the same problem.

Any ideas?
Mark McKenna

Re: Publishing hangs indefinitely

Post by Mark McKenna »

Since the hang occurs while the progress window is still up, can you verify that it only happens during Publish, and not during Print or Email. Try Preview, as well - does the rendered document appear? Also, what document or documents are you attempting to publish, and does the same thing happen regardless of what documents are selected (try something simple, like the Generic Fax or Blank Order Form, to test).

Be sure and check the Windows event log, since we may report a condition that is responsible for the hang.

Further, open the Select log using CTRL-SHIFT-L and run your test again. Document rendering is pretty verbose with respect to logging its progress, so that may give us a clue. If you can provide those details, we may see something of interest.

As another option, you can use a third party tool such as the Managed Stack Explorer (free) to take a snapshot of the thread stacks for the process, and to discover whether or not the hang is zero-CPU based or if it's spinning. Often, this can provide the exact code location that is causing the condition.

Let us know what you find, so that we can be of further assistance.
mrisen

Re: Publishing hangs indefinitely

Post by mrisen »

We had to temporarily move from one server to another in our test environment (version 2.6) and are seeing Preview hang. There do not appear to be any relevant entries in the Application event log. Any ideas?

Side note: I tried attaching a screenshot but continually got errors that read something like: "Could not upload attachment to ./files/167_fb467250ae9e1190b0dbc28c7dbe3bdc." I tried both .png and .gif formats.