Roadmap for .Net 4.0 version of Select?

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

JDavis

Roadmap for .Net 4.0 version of Select?

Post by JDavis »

I was just wondering if you guys have any estimate of when Select will be upgraded to the 4.0 runtime. We would like to take advantage of some of the features of this framework version in our SnapSections, but can't until Select is upgraded.

Any idea of when this might happen? Thanks!
John Morris

Re: Roadmap for .Net 4.0 version of Select?

Post by John Morris »

Upgrading to 4.0 is not expected until sometime after next year (2011/2012). With that said, the .NET framework 4.0 can run side by side with previous versions. You should be able to use your new features regardless of whether or not we have moved that framework version.

What features of 4.0 are you looking at?
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
JDavis

Re: Roadmap for .Net 4.0 version of Select?

Post by JDavis »

John, we've recently starting using Entity Framework 4.0 in our other projects here. In our current SnapSections, we are using Linq to SQL when we need to go to custom tables in our Select DB. We would like to eventually be able to migrate this to EF to be consistant with what we are doing on other projects and because our SnapSections will eventually have to call out to our other internal systems for data that may be providing an API via 4.0. Because our SnapSections have to be 3.5, we can't reference any of our 4.0 libraries.

I think that there are some ways around this - we have our Entity objects in a seperate assembly, which I think we can compile to 3.5 as they know nothing about EF or that they are being hydrated by EF. Our SnapSections would then call out to a 4.0 WCF or web service to get these entities. The SnapSection would then just reference the 3.5 entity assembly and should be good to go since it doesn't matter what runtime the WCF or webserivce is for the SnapSection to use it.