Can orders be deleted? Company's retention policy requires I find a way.

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

jtomoso

Can orders be deleted? Company's retention policy requires I find a way.

Post by jtomoso »

I saw that this question was asked back in 2014, but I haven't been able to find any other update since then, so I wanted to ask again and see if there has been a change. My company has a published data retention policy that requires the deletion of orders after 7 years. So far, records in SoftPro Select haven't been affected by this policy, but next year they will be. In order to stay ahead of our requirements, I'm starting my questions here in the hope that a method for order deletion already exists.

So the question: Either via the UI or the API, can orders be deleted from SoftPro Select? To clarify...this is an actual deletion, not marking a record as inactive/hidden/etc.

Thanks for your help!
BobRichards

Re: Can orders be deleted? Company's retention policy requires I find a way.

Post by BobRichards »

Sorry but there is no mechanism to totally remove an order and its artifacts across all the tables. I will enter this as a suggestion in our requirements database.

The effort will require significant time in order to selectively remove data from potentially dozens of table and verify that no ill effects occur that might jeopardize the future stability of Select as a whole including searches, reports, etc.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
jtomoso

Post by jtomoso »

Thanks, Bob!

Is there a reference number for that requirement that you can pass along? I'll likely need that in conversations with my account rep.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

Sug 462091: Add ability to totally remove an Order

Be aware that I don't know where this suggestion fits in the scheme of current development or future obligations. It is simply submitted for review at this time.
jtomoso

Post by jtomoso »

No problem. I completely understand competing priorities. I'm curious, though, if you know of anyone who tried to do the delete on their own? Understanding, of course, that something like that wouldn't be recommended and likely not supported.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

No. I don't know of anyone who attempted this with an eye towards doing it on a production system. They were doing integration tests. I am not sure how successful they were.