Visual Studio Templates in VB.NET

Discussions concerning general integration topics.

Moderator: Phil Barton

roteague

Visual Studio Templates in VB.NET

Post by roteague »

Any chance of getting Visual Studio templates in VB.NET? My company's standard is VB.NET, it becomes a pain converting from C#.
Robert
John Morris

Re: Visual Studio Templates in VB.NET

Post by John Morris »

We have added this request to our product feature backlog. In the meantime, you can create your own template by exporting a project in Visual Studio using the File -> Export Template... functionality. That should help avoid repeated project conversions.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
roteague

Post by roteague »

Thanks, but exporting the templates isn't what I need. Exporting templates keeps the same language, in this case C#. While I understand it fine, some of our other developers only know VB.NET, and I don't have the time to be building custom templates. What I really need, is what SoftPro promised us in the beginning.

Thanks for all your help,

Robert
Robert
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

We will be providing a Visual Basic Project Template for Shell Packages in an upcoming service pack release for SoftPro Select. This will be available in service pack 2 for v2.2 of Select. This project template will help VB users in getting started with shell integration packages.
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
roteague

Post by roteague »

John Morris wrote:We will be providing a Visual Basic Project Template for Shell Packages in an upcoming service pack release for SoftPro Select. This will be available in service pack 2 for v2.2 of Select. This project template will help VB users in getting started with shell integration packages.
I tried creating a test package with the new VB SoftPro Template, but it hangs VS2008. Additionally, when I try to create a test package with the C# version, it returns the following error message: "Error: this template attempted to load an untrusted component 'SoftPro.VisualStudio.Templates ....'.

This basically means all my development activities are on hold in regards to SoftPro development. I can still create other types of projects, WinForms, WPF, etc. and I can still edit and work with my previous SoftPro projects.

(Note: I do have the VisualStudio SDK installed).

Thanks,
Robert
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

Can you provide more information about the history of this development environment? We are unable to reproduce this error in our environment.

Is this a clean install, or is it an upgrade install? Does this issue reproduce on other clean development machines?
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
roteague

Post by roteague »

John Morris wrote:Can you provide more information about the history of this development environment? We are unable to reproduce this error in our environment.

Is this a clean install, or is it an upgrade install? Does this issue reproduce on other clean development machines?
I built the machine a month or so ago, never installed VS2005, except those portions installed by MS SQL Management Studio. I just built a new machine last week, I'll give it a try there. The issue does reproduce on the other developers machine as well - the only difference, is mine hangs on the VB template, where his gives the same message as I get for the C# template.
Robert
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

Do you see the "SoftPro.VisualStudio.Templates" assembly in your global assembly cache? If so, what's the version number?
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
John Morris

Post by John Morris »

I believe I have found the issue. Can you try installing the SDK on a machine that HAS had both VS2005 and VS2008 installed? The bug is potentially around an incorrect version reference, and it is looking for version 8 (2005) when it should be looking for version 9 (2008).
John Morris
Sr. Software Architect
SoftPro
roteague

Post by roteague »

John Morris wrote:I believe I have found the issue. Can you try installing the SDK on a machine that HAS had both VS2005 and VS2008 installed? The bug is potentially around an incorrect version reference, and it is looking for version 8 (2005) when it should be looking for version 9 (2008).
I'll have to see what I can do. All our developers are on VS2008; we are no longer using 2005.
Robert