Setting up SoftPro Development / Test Environment

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
enendza

Setting up SoftPro Development / Test Environment

Post by enendza »

Morning -

We need to set up a SoftPro development environment for a client. Can you provide any insight and or links to the install process for SoftPro.

Also, to ensure that our development environment matches the client production environment do I need to take a backup of their DB? I want to get all of the checklist items that they have configured, any special rules or tasks and attachment folder names. Because SoftPro offers so much flexibility for each client I am ASSUMING that all of that data is the SoftPro database and I need to get a copy to set up an accurate development environment to match production. Thoughts?

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Emma
BobRichards

Re: Setting up SoftPro Development / Test Environment

Post by BobRichards »

Your best bet is to contact someone in Softpro Customer Support to walk you through it. It will look exactly like a regular install but with a separate set Select databases to contain the dev/testing. Can you check with the people who originally set up your production system?

You can also start with a previous SQL backup of the "client production" SelectDB (yours may be named differently) database. If you go this route, restore the SelectDb database but make sure the other three databases do not exist before you install Select Server or you will get a cryptic error. This is the scenario I use for all my development work since it has all the necessary customization for my primary customer and old orders for regression testing.

Good luck. Contact me if you Customer Support can't help or recommend the next step.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro