Select blurry on Windows server 2016 terminal server

Discussions related to installation and setup of SoftPro products.
chris.brady

Select blurry on Windows server 2016 terminal server

Post by chris.brady »

We're working on migrating our terminal servers from Server 2008 R2 to 2016.

We've noticed an odd issue that is only affecting Select. When Select is doing something that takes a while to complete (opening an order, generating a document, etc.), the window will often lose focus/become blurry.

It is pretty distracting when it happens. This behavior doesn't occur with other applications or Windows functions.

I've attached screenshots of when the client is in focus, out of focus, and an example of it being out of focus while other windows are fine.
I'm not sure how the quality will come out on the forums, so if you need us to email them directly, we can.

I'm reluctant to roll out the server update as long as Select exhibits this behavior. I know the Select client is supposed to support 2016 -- have you seen this happen?

Current version is 4.3.10.
Attachments
Out of focus - others in focus.jpg
Out of focus - others in focus.jpg (502 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Out of Focus.jpg
Out of Focus.jpg (126.99 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
In Focus.jpg
In Focus.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
BobRichards

Re: Select blurry on Windows server 2016 terminal server

Post by BobRichards »

Blurry screen artifacts are a common consequence of running applications on on very high pixel resolutions monitors. It should have nothing to do with SQL nor Select. The problem should follow the monitor. Did you try viewing the screen when running Select and 2008r2 on that same monitor?

Also, perhaps when the machine generating the terminal server image is under heavy load and is unable to furnish the necessary bandwidth to keep the user's terminal client app refreshed properly.

I would recomend the following:
  • Verify if it happens with both SQL versions under similar conditions by viewing it on the same monitor and machine.
  • Check the CPU loading of the terminal server machine to make sure it can pump out images with sufficient bandwidth.
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro
chris.brady

Post by chris.brady »

Not SQL 2016. Windows Server 2016.

Monitors are the same as with 2008 R2. The terminal servers (both 2008 and 2016) are being connected to via RDP.

2016 Terminal server with blurry image is under zero load -- only user on the system is me. Resources are the same as with the 2008 server.
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

I am not aware of any specific changes that may have occurred in these areas. However, if you can tell us exactly which operations have this behavior then I will enter a bug report.

Please elaborate. You said the screen blur occurs while:
  • Fetching an order - any order or specific types?
  • Generating a document - any document or just order documents? What about ProTrust documents?
  • Does it occur in any other areas?
Sorry for the problems and thanks for reporting it!
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro