IAttachmentFile error

Discussions related to SoftPro Select Server development.

Moderator: Phil Barton

MattW

IAttachmentFile error

Post by MattW »

We are trying to read an attachment during the ordersaving event on the ServerPackge, but receive a security exception every time we call GetStream() on the IAttachmentFile.

Are there any special dll's or handling needed to get the stream on the server side (the same method works fine on the client side)?

Exception:
System.Security.SecurityException: Insufficient permissions to view this file attachment.
MattW

Re: IAttachmentFile error

Post by MattW »

Some additional information:

I was able to get the stream directly from the IBlobStore service, but this only works for preexisting attachment (this also bypasses the ThrowIfCannotViewFiles check and whatever consequences that includes).

After decompiling AttachmentFile.GetStream(), it looks like the error is manually thrown by a SoftPro permission check (ThrowIfCannotViewFiles()):

The following methods are from the AttachmentFile class in SoftPro.OrderTracking.Client.dll.

GetStream:

Code: Select all

public Stream GetStream()
    {
      this.ThrowIfCannotViewFiles(); // this throws the error
      return this.Blob.GetStream();
    }
ThrowIfCannotViewFiles:

Code: Select all

private void ThrowIfCannotViewFiles()
    {
      if (!this.ShouldIgnoreConstraints && this.Parent != null && !this.Site.GetService<IAttachmentsProvider>().GetActionController().CanViewFiles(this.Parent))
        throw new SecurityException(Resources.AttachmentsViewFileSecurityError);
    }
mhoutz

Post by mhoutz »

Hi Matt,

The credentials that you're using to connect may not have the correct permission to 'view' for all attachments (or in that folder if it has custom security). You can turn those permissions on in SPAdmin for that user, which is what I would recommend.

Let me know if you have further trouble.

Mike
MattW

Post by MattW »

Not sure that's it. As I said, the code works fine when running from a shell package, but fails when running from the server package. I have permissions in SPAdmin set up correctly, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see or do anything with attachments through the UI, which I can.
mhoutz

Post by mhoutz »

Hmm, something may not be working right here. I'll look into this further and get back with you.

Mike
MattW

Post by MattW »

It's worth noting that this code used to work, but stopped within the last month or so. We aren’t exactly sure when the error started happening, but it shows in our error logs going back to the middle of June.

The code in question didn't change -- it just started getting this security error. The only system change we’ve had in the last couple of months was upgrading to SQL Server 2016. However, we aren’t seeing errors in the SQL logs, and I’m not sure why, if it was actually a SQL error, that it would work from a shell package, but not server package.

Hopefully you guys can find something.
mhoutz

Post by mhoutz »

Hi Matt,

Sorry about this one. After examining this, it does look like it's a bug with Server Packages. When I attempt to get an attachment stream with a server package, it seems to always give me 'access is denied', like you are receiving. I'm urgently looking into this to see if I can find a workaround.

Mike
mhoutz

Post by mhoutz »

I unfortunately haven't found a workaround for the server package to avoid that permission check, which is where this bug currently exists. Would you be interested in converting this to a shell package? I've noticed that the permission check for attachment stream works fine there. It would consume a license, but it's worth thinking about if you need an urgent replacement.

Again, apologies for this issue.

Mike
clawFL

Post by clawFL »

We are currently running SoftPro with a version of 4.3.60210.119. A new server package was developed and we receive the "access is denied" error on the following line of code.

IAttachmentFile iFile = (IAttachmentFile)oItem;
var sFile = iFile.GetStream();

Is this still a known issue or is there a registry/database permission issue we can change to accomplish this?
BobRichards

Post by BobRichards »

There are multiple permissions surrounding the Attachments area. The user must have the ProForm\Order\Attachments View permission to access attachments.
AttachmentPermissions.jpg
AttachmentPermissions.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
Bob Richards, Senior Software Developer, SoftPro